SandraM

Sandra

Nights of Electric Blue - Amber Redd

I hate writing bad reviews. I really do. The last line in this book is "What else could a guy ask for?" and all I could think was "for this book to be over!" I just couldn't take it anymore. Let's break it down.

First of all, I will say that I haven't read the first two books in this series. I'm not sure how that would have affected my opinion of the world building. When it comes down it, this was an interesting concept. There are magical wolves (your typical PNR werewolf who turns from man to wolf, has keen sense, an Alpha, and in this case a 'clan') and there are werewolves which seem more half-man half-wolf who can be more volatile and have trouble controlling the bloodlust and whatnot, they also have alphas and in this case 'packs'. The packs and clans co-exist in a sleepy little mountain town, where some humans know of them and some do not.

But this wasn't presented well at all. I understand the author purposely giving us bits and pieces so that we find out things slowly, along with out MC, James. But it was just weird and kind of all over the place. Some of it even seemed to contradict each other and like the author hadn't fully developed the concept of this world yet.

Secondly, there is the insta-love of all insta-loves. Seriously. Aaron and James are both immediately attracted to each other. Fine. They have a few conversations. OK. Aaron says he needs to stay away because it could endanger James. Got it. Then at about 80% of the way through the book, suddenly Aaron "bent and captured James's mouth, kissing him deeply." At this point I actually laughed and said "What?!" out loud to myself. Not only did this feel sudden (despite being so late in the book) but I felt NO connection between out MC's at this point. They'd talked like three times! It actually made more sense to me for James to end up with Bret.

Speaking of Bret. That whole situation was W.E.I.R.D. I thought it had to be a con! But nope, instead just a totally pointless and unrelated series of events.

Third, dialogue to end all dialogues. I have never highlighted so much in any other eBook, because I wanted to be able to quote all the awkward, cringe-worthy, and just plain bad.

"As much as you're invitation thrills and excites me - I have to turn you down." Who talks like that?! "Having you in my life soothes and supports me." I know I always talk in double descriptors.

"There's a courtyard behind the motel. Why don't you join me there and let your pet run around for a few minutes?" Awkward silence. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you" Yes, the word "offensive" is the right one to describe an invitation to a freaken walk! And "your pet", who says that?! You mean his dog?

And can't forget how much they all like to talk about how wonderful each other are...

"Ah, man. You're such a great guy, I hope you find someone special coon.

"I'll tell Tina so she won't worry." "She's a great woman."
Not awkward at all.

And the supernatural...

"Are you telling me the legendary ways of fighting werewolves are true too?" Uhg.

Fourth, meh sex. This is unfortunate, because some hot sex can save almost any book. But they sort of cut out, and the awkward dialogue continued anyway. "Oh hell. I don't know if I'm going to be able to accommodate you." But don't worry folks, Aaron "breached him" and got in there right quick. No prep needed!

OK, I'm ranting, I know this. But I was just so disappointed. I could tell early on it wouldn't be an all time favorite, but that's ok. 50% of the way through I figured 2.5 stars because of the insta-love and some weird dialogue, but it just took a turn for the worse with some weird plot twists and I couldn't take it anymore. Finally I blew through the last 20% as fast as possible just to be done. I doubt her writing is different from other books, so if you liked book 1, Chasing the Mailman, and book 2, When I'm Gone, then I'm sure you'll like this too. It just didn't work for me on several levels.

Received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, reviewed for Hearts On Fire