SandraM

Sandra

Floodgates - Mary Calmes

Let's start with the basic premise and plot. I liked it. That was why I wanted to read the book. And once Cord and Tracy got together I found myself smiling a lot, their banter flowed naturally and was funny and sweet. And that sex was definitely hot. Damn Cord. Just, Damn.

But there were several holes in the execution and things that seemed like their sole purpose was to progress the drama. First of all, that first shooting at Tracy's office. What was the point of that?  Having Tracy's business partner's mystery brother be some Russian mob guy was just an unnecessary complication. Maybe it was supposed to be a red herring and throw us off the scent of the mystery, but I just found it odd.

As usual in these romantic suspense's, the police work was atrocious. Cord is supposed to be protecting all of them, yet he only has eyes for Tracy. He even admits that Tracy is the only one he would take a bullet for... um, Celia is PREGGO you heartless bastard! And of course they're too busy sexin to pay attention to why they're actually there.  Although at least they acknowledge it, as Tracy said to Cord, "You're not doing a very good of protecting [them]." Cord's response, "I know." Nice. And the only reason the killer is ever found is because he presents himself, not because the cops actually have any idea.

Mystery? Sort of. I guess.

And of course, who doesn't like some misogamy thrown in for good measure? News flash people, it's 2014 not 1950. Single women can have babies, and in fact do it quite frequently. Yes, they want the father to be involved in the babies life since you know, it's healthy to know who your dad is. But you can both be involved without getting married! I could not have been more insulted when Tracy said the father marrying Celia was "the right thing." She's a fucking cardiovascular surgeon! I think she can fucking handle it. That was such a lame twist. And how are you helping her to stick her with an ass of a husband?

Lastly, it took until almost 3/4 of the way through the book for Tracy and Cord to get together. Now that's fine, but I felt absolutely no chemistry between them prior to that. The author wanted them to have a banter-ish frienemies relationship, but really they were just snippy and bitchy to each other and despite Cord's "soft glances" I just wasn't feeling it. Luckily that turned around but it made it hard to root for them.

So all in all it was OK, although I think it could have been cleaned up and crisped up some. I liked the brothers, I liked Tracy and Cord together in the end, I just think maybe the author tried to hard with the mystery. I haven't read Ms. Calmes work but I know there are a lot of fan girls and boys out there. I'm not sure if she's just not for me and you'll love this, or this one isn't up to her usual level. If you love her you'll probably be on board.

Received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, reviewed for Hearts On Fire