SandraM

Sandra

The Wolf at His Door - Adrian Lilly

I wanna start by pointing out how many 4 and 5 star reviews there are for this book. But unfortunately I was left feeling rather... ambivalent.

The Story: The basic premise of this is unique, I can't say too much more than that as information is revealed to the reader at an appropriate pace. We're given just enough to clue us in to some things, while still aware there is so much we're not seeing yet. Alec is different, although it's unclear initially why as he seems normal enough. But we started off with the POV of his pregnant mother freaking out that something isn't right inside her with her unborn child, so this keys us in immediately.

The Format: Although Alec and Jared are our main characters, we often see from other people's perspective. It can at times be a bit much, but the author does a good job of keeping these interludes short just to give us the minimal information we need. We see from every known characters perspective, as well as a few that play into the 'missing persons' side of things.

I had this classified as 'horror', but really it read more like a mystery to me. I was never really scared, even though there are certainly several gruesome scenes they don't go into too much detail with the gore. And I found myself not having as strong of an emotional response as I should have had.

Where this story lost me a bit, was the relationship and total lack of chemistry between Alec and Jared. I would not describe this as a romance in any way, but even if there are two people developing a romantic relationship during a horror or mystery novel, I need to feel that pull. I need to see them come together in times of crises and I need to see them lean on each other in despair. I didn't get that. Alec was aloof to Jared at first, then they hook up, then Jared blurts out his big reveal, then despite tons of evidence (aka: bodies piling up) to the contrary, Alec starts being kind of a dick to Jared about it and is in an unrealistic amount of denial, then someone blurts the L-bomb, the end. To me this story would not have been any different if they had simply been friends. Or even if Jared had just been some guy.

And speaking of Alec's unrealistic amounts of denial, that is one of several things that I wasn't buying. Along with that, the fact that one person in particular has dead bodies piling up around him and the cops offered no police protection whatsoever. In fact, they were pretty much absent until after someone dies. Non-major characters lives don't seem to matter all that much to these guys, and the killers motivations are sort of explained, but not entirely.

Received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, reviewed for Hearts On Fire