SandraM

Sandra

Free Falling - S.E. Jakes

I thought this was a decent novella, although I did put it down halfway (just because life happens) and didn't feel a strong urge to pick it back up. Luckily it was a monthly group read so that gave me the impetus, I hate leaving things unfinished.

Blue was a fun character, and I liked his initial interactions with Mick. I'm on the fence about the sex drug as a plot device. Yes it's obvious, but it also gave for some fun sexscapades and allowed the introduction of knowledge about Blue's difficulty to give up control and helped the boys build some trust. I do have to say though, that while I enjoyed this initial sex scene and a few to follow, there were one or two too many for me. I actually skipped the last one because I was kind of over it at that point. Not sure why. Despite the sexy bondage in the scene at Mick's house they just got a little... repetitive? Dull? Maybe it was the writing but I didn't feel a strong connection.

One thing I really liked, that I felt was different from a lot of books, was when Mick didn't try to change Blue. It obviously works because Mick works for a dangerous operation too, but still. It was nice not too have that argument... however despite Mick even saying they could be partners in the field, then he goes all protective Mama-Bear and telling Prophet to watch him, not let Blue go after him, and not wanting him to do that final bomb drop. News flash, you guys cannot be partners then.

But again, I liked the interlude of some realism that acknowledges the practicalities of their job. Decent read. I have the rest of the series so I will continue with it, excited for Prophet!

p.s. Blue trained with Old Man Wilson for 4 years as a thief, but not only is he a great thief, he is apparently also a master safe-cracker and the best hacker on the planet? Ah well, Escapism.