SandraM

Sandra

Dumb Jock: The Musical (Dumb Jock, #4) - Jeff Erno 3.5 stars I really enjoyed this. It's a fairly simple story, there's certainly some drama after Evan comes out but no main characters acting like idiots or making hugely stupid decision. They decide what they are feeling, then act based on that and what is right. Albeit with uncertainty and fear at times, but they act nonetheless. I always appreciate that.

I liked the play-within-a-book story arc, even though I haven't read Book #1, [b:Dumb Jock|6507704|Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock, #1)|Jeff Erno|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1376349102s/6507704.jpg|16809997], which the play was based on. It was interesting seeing those characters and having them reappear in this book. Given that that book took place in the 80's and this book is current so that Jeff and Brett (the MC's of Dumb Jock #1) are middle-aged with a family of their own, I'm assuming the author had the whole series planned out somewhat before starting book 1. Which I think shows in the way the stories weave together well, as opposed to feeling forced.

To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll go back and read Dumb Jock #1. I feel I got to know Jeff and Brett pretty well in this book, and I saw a lot of their story through the play. I am intrigued about Adam, their son, and his boyfriend, Trevor. So I will likely check out their book, [b:Another Dumb Jock|13419076|Another Dumb Jock (Dumb Jock, #2)|Jeff Erno|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1376349273s/13419076.jpg|18772531].

I also appreciated the thorough resolutions. I kept thinking each chapter was the last they do the play and everyone's happy... they get jobs together at their old high school and everyone's happy... they get married and everyone's happy but was pleasantly surprised when it continued to wrap up not only our hero's story completely, but also to introduce the new one in the epilogue! I'm definitely intrigued by this character and his struggles, I won't spoil who it is!, and will be looking forward to the 5th installment of this series. I was so pleased with the developments on Bryan's character. I generally don't think people are all good or all evil, so I hate when I character is over the top dick-head with no explanation. Bryan's struggles are an important aspect to see, and I can't wait to see him grow and change!

Received from the publisher in exchange for an honest review, reviewed for Hearts On Fire