SandraM

Sandra

Built 4 It - Daisy Harris This was actually pretty good, and an interesting idea. The premise reminded me of [a:Laurann Dohner|3190846|Laurann Dohner|http://d.gr-assets.com/authors/1285546473p2/3190846.jpg]'s Breed series, except instead of genetically modified animal-human hybrids... they're reanimated corpses! Very cool, but I did feel like I needed more explanation on this.

Maybe it's because I skipped books 1 and 2 in this series, but 1) you can tell someone's a stein by looking at them, but they don't explain what exactly are the physical differences from human. Obviously very subtle if a cloudy day can mask them they escape to Seattle, but even Seattle has a sunny day now and then. Do the stein's have to hide inside, can people still not notice? 2) Do the stein's recall anything of their life? Can anyone who dies be turned into a stein or did they sign up for it like donating your body to science? I find it odd that neither Ben nor Kee was interested in his (previous) life, to me my first thoughts are "Who was he? What did he do? How did he die?" 3) Obviously they don't decompose, do they age? Ben mentioned that Frank was 100, so Ben will get old but Kee won't?

But those questions aside, I thought the set up was very good. Everything up until Dr. Finch left I thought was perfect Kee getting smarter and more aware over time. The two of them watching each other. Although it would have been cool if they had had some interactions over the course of the few months, instead of Ben just all of a sudden finding out Kee can talk. Admittedly, after that, I would have liked things to run their course a little differently. But they ended up in the same place either way, so I enjoyed the ride. I thought it was weird to have Ben and Kee stay at the facility. Both Ben and Shani should have realized this is kind of a life or death thing for both of them. Dr. Finch could have come back or they could have been discovered when the bodies didn't turn up. Obviously Ben was going to be held responsible if he didn't come up with a plan/excuse but they both were just like "whoops, guess you gotta go on the run now." Ben should have just explained to Kee that he needed to go, and then decided if he would go along. Not stay at the scene of the crime to shower and jerk off!!!

I am interested in going back and reading [b:Lust After Death|12000770|Lust After Death|Daisy Harris|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1310311321s/12000770.jpg|16965186] and [b:Studenstein|12641258|Studenstein|Daisy Harris|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1329566256s/12641258.jpg|17752578], both to get more background on the stein's (hopefully) and just because it's a fun series.

Received from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review