SandraM

Sandra

The Locker Room - Amy Lane I really like the premise of this one since it breaks out of the typical gay-for-you jock story and instead tells a story about two male athletes who fall in love as teenagers and have to hide it continually as they progress through their careers. I do think for me though, this taking place over the course of 15 years made it drag at times.

The prologue is present day, and then it immediately jumps way way waaaay back to when they first meet at 14. That put me a little on defense right away. But as the story progressed I really enjoyed seeing the boys as teenagers and especially what Xander was going through. Although I'm not always a fan of flashbacks, I think they may have served this books well (perhaps using Xander's nightmares as a gateway?). If the story had simply taken place in present day with flashbacks at appropriate times to them as teenagers and in college for us to learn glimpses of how they got where they are today, then I think it could have weeded out some of the slowness in between for me.

I was surprised with the turn that the book took Chris's accident and I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about it. I appreciate that they tried to do something different, and I don't mind a bit of angst in my books. Ms. Lane's books usually have me crying like a baby, but I have to say, despite feeling like I should be crying, this one just didn't get to me. Too forced? Too drawn out? I'm not sure.

Anyway, still a good book with a unique take. If your looking for something similar, I really enjoyed [b:Heart in Hand|13151360|Heart in Hand|salifiable|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1328293790s/13151360.jpg|18329388], and it's free! :)