[b:Time Enough|13702566|Time Enough (Love is Always Write)|Kiernan Kelly|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337131454s/13702566.jpg|19335054]
by Kiernan Kelly
(science fiction/time trvel) 2.5 stars
- Interesting story and executed fairly well for being so short. We didn't really get to know the characters too well, even the narrator, so that held me back a little from getting too invested. I wish the only sex scene that we got to see hadn't been a blow-job scene. Not that there's anything wrong with BJ's but they can be less personal I think. It was fine but it kind of jumped form that to their big fight. We definitely needed more in between relationship stuff when they were happy.[b:To Keep a Smile|15703614|To Keep a Smile|Valentina Heart|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1339570274s/15703614.jpg|21365098]
by Valentina Heart
(contemporary/family drama) [b:Tumbleweed|14760049|Tumbleweed (Love is Always Write)|S.A. Meade|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1338680244s/14760049.jpg|20410055]
by S.A. Meade
(contemporary/cowboy)[b:Underwater Secrets|13706940|Underwater Secrets (Love is Always Write)|Charlie Richards|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337135730s/13706940.jpg|19339493]
by Charlie Richards
(paranormal/merman) [b:Using Broken Wings to Fly|15703624|Using Broken Wings to Fly|Eden Connor|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1341656785s/15703624.jpg|21365112]
by Eden Connor
(contemporary/PTSD) [b:The Vampire and the Bear|15703677|The Vampire and the Bear|Deanna Wadsworth|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1339573962s/15703677.jpg|21365188]
by Deanna Wadsworth
(paranormal/vampire) 3 stars
- This was good and had a few surprises in it Luke already knowing about the paranormal and the twink being the top
. It wrapped up well but was definitely open enough that I hope she writes more about Luke and Charles. I'm ok with the insta-love thing, especially in paranormal when there's the whole 'mate' thing, but they could have spent more time making us feel
the connection, instead of just telling us. [b:The War at the End of the World|13643818|The War at the End of the World|Heidi Belleau|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1336674817s/13643818.jpg|19259559]
by Heidi Belleau and Violetta Vane
(historical/writer) 4 stars!
- To be completely honest, this dragged a little in the middle for me when Joseph was just going around doing his thing. But it doesn't really matter. This was beautiful, and sad, and uplifting, and heartbreaking. A little bit of time jumping, but the dates kept things clear. Great idea and very well executed."I have a choice, and simultaneously no choice at all. Because I love him. He is my son and my brother and my father and my lover, my creator and my destructor and my master, and I love him."[b:West, Haven|13702208|West, Haven (Love is Always Write)|Jenna Jones|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337130019s/13702208.jpg|19334678]
by Jenna Jones
(contemporary/musicians) 2.5 stars
- This was a sweet little short, but unfortunately I just wasn't feeling as much of a connection between Riley and West as I wanted to. Initially the flashbacks were a little hard to keep track of, and could have been worked a little more smoothly into the story. Once the two guys moved in together I was liking it, but then it progressed very suddenly.
Maybe because of the length also, I felt like there needed to be a little more talking and not just jumping right into bed. So did Riley wait so long after moving in because he though West was dating Paul? And how did he not realize, "my gay friend tried to kiss me years back and I turned him down without explanation. Now I'm all touchy with him, why doesn't he get the hint?" Umm... because he thinks you're straight!?
It was a little too easy and casual for two guys who have supposedly loved each other for however long.
And how did the way Riley's mom died not come up in their oh-so-close fourteen year friendship? Him revealing that all of a sudden seemed kind of random and unnecessary to the story, it didn't really bring more closeness because they were already supposedly close. And then West runs out in the middle of a storm, JUST LIKE RILEY'S MOM! but it's never brought up and connected back? What's the point of bringing it up if you're not going to make a connection?Along the same lines, Riley said he came back for West, but they ran into each other accidentally... what would he have done otherwise? Was he going to track him down, pretend he just ran into him? I need more info.
The whole thing just came together a little too easy and casually
considering the high emotions that should have been going on and length of time things had been building.[b:Where the Land Goes on Forever|13707556|Where the Land Goes on Forever (Love is Always Write)|S.A. McAuley|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1337779195s/13707556.jpg|19340138]
by S. A. McAuley
(contemporary/scientist) 3 stars
- This was perfect and sweet and just the right length (although I wouldn't mind another short following up with these guys).[b:A Whispered Cry|15704871|A Whispered Cry|Sammy Goode|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1339644368s/15704871.jpg|21367287]
by Sammy Goode
(fantasy/military) 1 star
- OK, so let's ignore the fact that the description/prompt doesn't really fit the story. Firsts things first, I don't understand this world. Is Gael king or not? Sometimes he acts like he can tell Anzel what to do, but then other times he acts like he can't even discipline for freakin attempted murder. So that makes the whole plot a little hard to understand. I don't get the rules.
Why is Anzel allowed to keep Ren? He was a citizen of Gael's country/city/whatever, but he can just kidnap him and all of a sudden Gael has no authority?
Second thing, the flashbacks. Why can't we just go in order? I think it's supposed to create suspense but I don't feel like it brings anything to the story to start in one place, then go back 6 months, then within that to remember a few months prior, than to come back to present, etc. It's confusing.
Lastly, I wasn't feeling it. Ren loving Con. Con loving Ren. None of it. That 'boy' stuff came across as kind of condescending after a while, less of an endearment. And Ren is thinking about this torture he underwent and how traumatized he is and blah blah blah, but I'm not really seeing it. And then he jumps right back with Con after all that, no climactic healing or drama, just one little scene.
Overall, this just didn't work for me and I had to skim the last bit to get through. It just went on and on... and on... and on... and gee-wiz big surprise ending (not really).[b:With This Ring|13649105|With This Ring (Love is Always Write)|Jeff Erno|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1357587007s/13649105.jpg|19268498]
by Jeff Erno
(contemporary/intergenerational) [b:The Wolf at My Door|15750556|The Wolf at My Door|Pia Veleno|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1342225574s/15750556.jpg|21444425]
by Pia Veleno
- The reviews are very mixed, sounds like some of the BDSM elements aren't realistic/safe. Might skip this one.