SandraM

Sandra

On the Field (Campus Cravings) - Carol Lynne $5.51 on Nook, three shorts/novellas but definitely more cost efficient (They were kinda pricey as stand alones)

[b:Coach|6088110|Coach (Campus Cravings, #1)|Carol Lynne|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1355988992s/6088110.jpg|6265024] - 2 stars That was a little painful. It wasn't bad per say but too much telling and not enough showing. Things went way to quickly and I just didn't feel any emotional connection what-so-ever. And they talk like cheesy romance characters, not like real people. Lastly, the big drama wasn't realistic to me I know it's hard to be out working in a school and they can certainly come up with an excuse to fire him or make his life miserable to get him to quit, but especially given the publicity I seriously don't think they can get away with just saying "You're gay? Well then you're fired." But of course everything wrapped up perfectly with an itty-bitty bow. Hope the next ones are better since they're longer.

[b:Side-Lined|6097940|Side-Lined (Campus Cravings, #2)|Carol Lynne|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1360564547s/6097940.jpg|6275074] - 2.5 stars I definitely liked this better than the first, although still not great. I liked the way Max and Alec converse better, I still find Luc and Justin's way of talking to be overly cheesy and unrealistic. But Max and Alec still say stuff I would never say (ie: Max getting up from talking to the new qb he just met and saying "I'm getting the evil glare from the Neanderthal on the patio. Good thing I love him to piece.") Don't get me wrong, I love my husband, but I don't go around gushing about it to random strangers and I've always found it odd and awkward when characters do that.

So now to the big White Elephant in this book. Babas. I've read a few other books with Daddy kink or 24/7 relationship and it's not really my thing but doesn't bother me too much. But in those books the younger guy usually talks about his need for this type of relationship too, prior to it happening. Granted, by the end it seemed to work for Max. But it bothered me a little that Alec just laid down the law of how he wanted things, and Max went with it. And I just don't think he explained it well.

By the end, their relationship ended up being one of strong D/s with a little Daddy kink but Max still had cute little rebellions he's get spanked for, etc, but it was really fine and not that a-typical. But the way Alec initially described it as "we won't be equals" really bothered me. Just because he's the Dominant doesn't mean they're not equal. So yeah, I didn't like that. And a main problem with Daddy kink, is when they talk about themselves in the third person. UHG! "Babas likes that." "Come to your Babas." "Your Babas loves you." Just sounds silly.

Also, the big climax was stupid because if Alec didn't treat Max like a child then it wouldn't even have been an issue He's a 23 year-old man, he walked out because he didn't want to see you guys fighting. Alec jumped in the car and peeled out without putting his seat-belt on because he was so frantic, it was as if his three year-old had wandered off. Max is fine. Did you even try calling him first? So since the whole set-up was stupid, the scene didn't effect me emotionally like it was supposed to. And no one even mentioned the other car! ALEC ran a freaken red light, so someone hit him, are they OK since you're the asshole who caused the accident?!?!?!?

They set up Julian's story well, and I'm glad I already have the third one. Hopefully these will steadily get better. If you're looking for something similar to this, [b:Bound and Determined|7014637|Bound and Determined |Jane Davitt|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1256031031s/7014637.jpg|7260356] is also about an undergrad who gets with a Dominant professor (minus the Daddy kink) and I thought it was pretty good.

[b:Sacking the Quarterback|6097955|Sacking the Quarterback (Campus Cravings, #3)|Carol Lynne|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1360571838s/6097955.jpg|6275089] - 3 stars I liked this and I felt like it had a little better flow then the first two books. They said "I love you" way too soon, as usual. It's just not necessary. They went from being interested in exploring what was between them... to love. There's no reason they couldn't have just said they had been training together for a few months and had it be later in the season, so they at least would have seemed to know each other better first. But it seems the insta-love is Ms. Lynne's MO so I guess I should get used to it.

Anyway, the story-line had it's drama, but I was glad she kept to basically the one thing Julian's abusive father so things didn't get too busy, since this is only about 90 pages. I did think it was a little weird that they talked about Koby's somewhat messed up family life, but then never brought it up again. I guess they just wanted to explain why he's so mature for his age and make it more realistic that he would be so understanding with Julian. But I don't even know if Julian knows about his home life. I wish they would have showed us at least one scene with Koby opening up to Julian, instead of telling us in a narrative.

They set up Dimitri and Aaron's book, [b:Off-Season|6097962|Off-Season (Campus Cravings, #4)|Carol Lynne|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1232614464s/6097962.jpg|6275096], which is next. And I'm interested to find out more about Rocco, Coach Williams' son, and can't wait for his book, [b:Forbidden Freshman|6105774|Forbidden Freshman (Campus Cravings, #5)|Carol Lynne|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1360572698s/6105774.jpg|6283124]. (Both of these can be found in [b:Campus Cravings Vol. 2: Off The Field|3974347|Campus Cravings Vol. 2 Off The Field (Campus Cravings, #4-5)|Carol Lynne|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1347312043s/3974347.jpg|4020106])

SIDE NOTE: This takes place in the U.S. so I find it a little odd that the author occasionally uses British spelling (colour, flavour, etc) and I've at times noticed some British slang but I don't remember any examples. Just a little inconsistency.