SandraM

Sandra

Life Lessons - Kaje Harper 4.5 stars This was a great read. Perfect build-up both relationship wise and murder-mystery wise before anything big happened but it wasn't slow. We got to know the characters and I liked both the main guys a lot. Yes, Mac's in the closet. But he's not in denial and obnoxious about it. Yes, Tony is young and sweet. But he's not naive and obnoxious about it.

The climax wound it's way perfectly with both the romance and the murder-mystery, and took up the appropriate amount of time with the appropriate amount of drama. (I hate when it's a quick and easy resolution not fitting the set-up). There were some clues to the killer and I had my guesses but wasn't 100% sure. I got suspicious of Brad when he was present for Tony's passing info onto Mac, and then Tony almost get's run over that night. Once Brad awkwardly asked how Tony was, made sure to tell him what type of car he drove, and basically offered him prescription meds, I was pretty sure. But again, all subtle and realistic stuff Nothing was super obvious but nothing was purposely hidden by the author to build suspense. The clues and the way the case progressed seemed realistic for this time of crime.

I'm definitely glad I have the rest of the series already, or else the ending might be a tad bittersweet I'm usually not OK with my guys staying in the closet unless it's a historical, but since I'm sure Mac will come out later in the series, this just seems like the perfect first book with obstacles still to conquer, and I'm moving directly on to [b:And To All A Good Night|11779071|And To All A Good Night (Life Lessons, #1.5)|Kaje Harper|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1310684250s/11779071.jpg|16730795] (#1.5) right now!